Busy students balance cluttered schedules

Paul Moffett balances being on the varsity golf team, in the Independent Study of Mentorship program, National Honor Society and volunteers at McKinney Fellowship.

As a student, you may see life as a huge feast. You are so focused on the main dish of school that sometimes you forget to have a bite of the side dishes.

Some want to become involved in other activities like National Honor Society, Future Farmers of America or even work.

But with additional side dishes, students must be able to find a balance.

Some highly involved students like junior Asia Nelson, senior Emily Chung, and senior Paul Moffett do struggle with finding a balance.

“Finding enough time for sleep [is hard]. I’ll be working on something until really late and only get two or three hours,” Chung said.

“Some things take more time than others,” Moffett said.

These Knights’ busy schedules may be baffling to many, but teachers like Orchestra Director Lindsay Titus provide students the necessary tools they need to have an organized school life.

“I give the students a schedule of the entire year at the beginning of the year so they have that information, put it into their calendars and they can start to look ahead,” Titus said.

While teachers like Titus are helping students manage their time, some students worry that their grades will drop with such busy schedules.

“If they have any potential conflict and when they do, I and whatever teacher will talk together and see what would be best for that student in that particular situation,” Titus said.

Many administrators encourage students to get involved even though they may have cluttered schedules.

“It sort of gives them more of a real world experience because when you get out to the real world there are going to be so many things that you have to do in one day, so you have to prioritize,” Assistant Principal Allison Ginn said.

After finding this balance, some students feel becoming more involved has impacted them in a positive way.

“It taught me time management. So I am able to have a social life, get good grades and like be out here on the golf course and still be able to function,” Moffett said.

“[It has] overall made me a better person and also given me amazing time management skills that will really benefit me in college,” Nelson said.

“Through cello I get to experience things that I wouldn’t [have been] able to otherwise and it’s fun and helps me grow as a person,” Chung said.