Changes in the debate program

Independence Knight Debate team after their tournament on October 8th at Wylie High School.

The 2015-2016 school year was one to remember for the Knight Debate Team.

“We were able to win sweepstakes at Wylie High School’s tournament and that was an amazing win for us and we’re looking forward to doing it again this year,” senior Simarleen Gulati said.

The debate team is going into this year ready to win, using the same perseverance from last year.

This program has about 20 varsity debaters and 30 students in Debate One. The program has experienced a variety of changes due to new coaches each year. This year Emiley Henry is coming in as the new debate coach.

In addition to a new coach, the debate team is gaining new members. 

“I think the biggest change would be the change in strategy but also the incoming novices,” Gulati said.

The shift in their program is influencing the members to work hard in order to have an improved season.

“My goals are to just win as much as I can with my partner Alexis and to become the best I can be, and possibly to qualify for nationals or TFA [Texas Forensic Association] state,” sophomore Adeena Sheraz said.

“I’m looking forward to perhaps getting more people to regionals this year, more people to state. Being able to just again prove how much we’ve bettered over the past couple of years and show off the team again,” Gulati said.

Debaters think the best way for them to accomplish their goals is to show improvements throughout the entire program.

“One of the things that I would like to see improve is getting the younger students involved early on and the process and helping them to feel a part of the team and get them started with participating in the tournaments,” Ms. Henry said.

Debate has upcoming tournaments taking place November 12th at Wylie High School and November 18th and 19th at Southlake Carroll High School.