Meet Pop Choir

Christine Crane, Paige Romero, Elyssa Davis, Morgan Wooley, and Sydney Copeland are practicing songs for their upcoming performance.

Many may know about the show “Glee” or the movie “Pitch Perfect.” What these realistic fictions have in common is not just singing, but students performing popular songs of this generation. Independence High School has a club very similar called Pop Choir.

What these realistic fictions have in common is not just singing, but students performing popular songs of this generation. Independence High School has a club very similar called Pop Choir.

Independence High School has a club very similar called Pop Choir.

Pop Choir is nothing at all like the regular choir you see at many schools. It’s a choir that sings hit songs from the 80’s, 90’s and 2000’s.

“I love singing. I love choir. But in choir we don’t sing a lot of really pop music, it’s a lot of choral music. I wanted to sing pop music I sing and hear every day,” junior Olivia Lepino said.

Students also have a good time in Pop Choir as well.

“It’s a lot of fun, you get to meet a lot of people through it,” junior Adam Burak said.

Thanks to the Choir Director Mr. Draper, students get to sing more entertainment songs, and have their own performances.   

“They will perform half a dozen times on our choral concerts throughout the year, as well as additional appearances at sporting events or local area activities. They’ll sing at our Fall Concert. They’ll sing the holiday concert. They’ll sing again in our Spring Show and our Spring Concert,” Mr. Draper said.

Their next big performance is on Thursday, November 10 called “Fall Spectacular! Broadway Bound!”