Family bonds through sports broadcasting

Sport broadcasting poses for a picture during football game at The Ford Center.

While a coach puts the players on the field, a new club is putting them on the screen.

Sports Broadcasting is a club that broadcasts Independence and district games.

Their program provides HD footage for people who can’t attend the games.

“So right now in kind of our early stages we’re really just focused on that broadcast side. We do have a separate side where we are selling advertising spots,” sports broadcasting teacher Steven Doherty said.

Sports Broadcasting consists of many parts that could appeal to students who are interested.

“There is a separate side if you’re not on the mic or on play-by-play call. We have kind of another side of things which is our tech guys, so we have some tech directors that run all boards and get all the cameras and stuff ready, so we have a lot of options to go,” Doherty said.

“We do podcast and press conferences and play-by-play over games,” junior Brett Friedman said.  

Over the past year, the program has grown beyond what members imagined.

“It turned into kind of what it is now with 26 people and just people who love sports, or love media, and a ton of access that you normally wouldn’t get,” Doherty said.

Members ensure that they create a family vibe through the program’s production.

“In sports broadcasting, we’re a pretty tight-knit group,” sophomore Alex Butler said.

“Some of the producers on the technical side, they’re a little bit younger they’re like sophomores, and I really just look at them like little brothers. And then me and my vice president Brenden are like the dads of the operation,” Friedman said.

“We’re all with each other a lot and we make this bond where we all have each others back,” senior Brenden Kauser said.

This family-based program strives to produce the best work possible for the student body.

“Everyone really motivates each other to put together the best program we can on the internet and it’s a lot of fun,” Friedman said.

To find out more, check out www.nfhsnetwork.com to see all of Sports Broadcasting’s past and future work.