Benefits of taking Outdoor Education

Outdoor Education students enjoy cooking on a Dutch oven outside during class.

Many students would try anything to get out of doing the physical part in physical education.

But in high school, you must have a P.E. credit in order to graduate.

For those who prefer not to workout, there are other options to get that credit with doing very little exercise.

One option to consider is Outdoor Education.

“The whole purpose of the class is to teach young people about conservation, understanding nature, understanding the beauty of getting outdoors,” Outdoor Education teacher Gerald Lewis said.

Outdoor Education is a class where students can learn outdoor skills like the mastery of archery, backpacking, camping, hiking, fishing, and orienteering.

Apart from these abilities, students can even learn to respect the environment and enjoy being outside too.

“You get to learn provided skills that you may get to use in your future life,” freshman Arjun Patel said.

Students who are taking the class enjoy what they have encountered so far.

“Outdoor cooking, which is a lot of fun; we got to cook a meal of our choosing outside on some hot coals and a Dutch oven,” senior Preston Nimmo said.

“Archery, because just getting to like actually be hands on with the bow and arrow, I just like that kind of stuff,” Patel said.

Besides learning multiple skills and enjoying the outdoors, you can even get certified in hunting and boating in the state of Texas.

“So we have a couple of units that are online. Now online, there’s an exam at the end of the boater certification exam and the hunter certification exam, which students are allowed to get their certification in order to go boating and also to hunt,” Lewis said.

After trips to the library to get certified, this P.E. alternative goes off campus to the local pond, and to go hiking; in order to reach the actual feel of being outdoors.

“They’re not really considered field trips, they’re activity trips. We get on activity bus; go to the local pond, get on the activity bus; go hiking, things in that nature,” Lewis said.

Outdoor Education has students achieve the purpose of taking the class, all while still having a lot of fun.

“If you are an athletic person, obviously you’re gonna want to take a more athletic class. This class doesn’t really do a lot of running or doing, you know, exercise. But if you are more here for learning and having a lot of fun then I would take this class,” Nimmo said.