Challenges as a student athlete

The school’s field house is where many student athletes spend their time outside of their club sport facilities.

Trying to manage your time as a student could be hard.

However, it could be harder for athletes that participate in both school and club sports.

“It takes up more of my time and I like to stay busy and college coaches look at club more than they look at school,” junior Jordyn Carswell said.

One common challenge student-athletes face is finding time to handle school work.

“I’m missing school, so it’s really hard to have make-up work. But teachers are really cooperative and it’s getting easier to balance each other out,” Carswell said.  

Along with handling school work, finding time in their schedule for their friends and family makes things more challenging.

“I get up early in the morning to work out then go to school, then practice in fourth period and then afterwards I go to my club teams practice, sometimes I can’t hang out on the weekends and stuff,” junior Bryan Maxey said.

Although there are challenges, there are benefits that come along such as making their parents proud.

“It’s kind of hard… but other than that, they want to see me do something that I want,” Maxey said.

Regardless of the frustrations they face, the dedication they put into their club and school sports could prove to be worth it.