IHS Tennis ranks number one in state

The Independence High School (IHS) tennis team is currently ranked as the number one high school team in the state of Texas. FISD has dominated the list; with six teams ranked in the 5A state top-25 rankings, as of August 18. 

Athletes on the tennis team have been diligently working and preparing themselves for the competition this season, setting goals and sharing their excitement towards the upcoming season. 

Sophomore Chloe Calloway, a varsity player on the team, details how she feels about all the accomplishments the tennis team has made so far. 

“Honestly I am really proud of our team and how far we have come,” said Calloway. “I think it really reflects all of our team’s hard work and dedication over the past few months. I feel really excited and proud that I get to be a part of this.”

Calloway goes on to share some goals she has for herself this season.

“I hope to go undefeated in singles, and win as many matches as I can,” said Calloway. “I also aspire to grow as a player, especially in such a competitive environment.”

Sophomore Chloe Calloway in action at an IHS tennis match.

The tennis team has continuously shown their determination and passion for the sport, working hard during the summer months and practicing daily during the season. 

Jennifer Paine, IHS head tennis coach, details on how proud of her athletes she is, and how she feels about the preseason rankings. 

“We are so excited, and this is a very big honor to be ranked number one in the state for preseason rankings,” said Paine. “I just love being around the kids, and we love seeing results starting from the beginning of the year to the end of the year.” 

With district tennis matches beginning, Paine details the aspirations and goals she has for her athletes. 

“We have a whole season ahead of us to play, and I hope we really rise to the occasion,” said Paine. “Especially with keeping our athletes healthy, and maintaining that ranking.”

IHS head tennis coach Jennifer Paine poses with assistant tennis coach Daniel Olivares.

Tennis matches are currently played on Tuesdays and Fridays, and to access their schedule visit the FISD website under the Athletics calendar.