Mooney breaks record

Independence High School Senior Brighton Mooney broke an Independence High School record at the 5k Varsity Southlake Carroll Invitational.

She placed first in the race with a time of 18:07, beating her personal record of 18:23 and the school’s record of 18:10.

“I wasn’t quite sure if I would be able to break the record in that race, but I turned the corner and saw the time so I pushed myself there,” Mooney said.

Brighton Mooney running at the Carrol Invitational meet on August 28

Mooney started running cross country in middle school and has always had a passion for competing and challenging herself. 

“I’ve been competing since I was in middle school but didn’t take it too seriously because I played soccer,” Mooney said. “After going to high school it started becoming more serious and I started working harder.”

Mooney has accomplished a lot as a high school athlete, but her success started as early as middle school in cross country where she competed in district and regional meets.

Mooney also leads her teammates daily for practices. Senior Tristen Sabin described Mooney’s impact and how she motivates her teammates.

“Brighton is always the first person at practice, and the last one to leave,” Sabin said. “She’s always ready to work and has a great attitude about everything.”

Sabin and other members of the team have competed an trained with Mooney since they joined the team as freshmen and have all witnessed her growth as an athlete.

“Brighton has come a long way from when she first started and that also motivates me to work harder,” Sabin said. 

Mooney and the Knights will face off in their next meet, the “Bronco Stampede,” on Saturday, September 11.