IHS student becomes published author

One  student at IHS is not only at the top of her class but a published author and a philanthropist for her local community.

Independence High School senior, Shreya Bhandari recently published a book called “Addition Workbook For Kids” that aims to help students practice basic math like addition and subtraction. 

“I come from a family of teachers, so I’ve always been taught the value of education,” Bhandari said. “In the U.S. there are about 34 million people below the poverty line and a majority of them are probably not receiving the education they deserve, so I want to be a part of the solution to this issue.”

Besides publishing her book, Bhandari wanted to create a stronger impact beyond just helping the local youth. Bhandari purchased 100 copies of her own book, intending to donate them to non-profit organizations such as the Ronald McDonald House.

“I have always had a love for math and wanted to share that love with other students,” Bhandari said. “Writing this book is not only beneficial to young students, but to anyone looking to learn or start learning.” 

Besides all the work she has done for other students and her community Bhandari has plans to grow her impact on her community. 

“I plan to buy and donate more copies of my book to more non-profit organizations, and I also plan on writing another book that centers and focuses on the topics I was covering in my previous one.”

Besides all the support Bhandari has from her family, she credits a lot of her passion for math and teaching to herself. 

“I really liked learning and researching about how children learn math and the different ways in which children respond to math work,” Bhandari said.  

On top of impacting her community, she is also top-ranked in her class, wrote and published international journals, and established the Future Problem Solving Frisco which is a club that aims to solve present and future problems that may occur in her community.

“If it wasn’t for the support of my family I wouldn’t be able to accomplish the things I have done,” Bhandari said. “I really want to be an advocate for my community and to inspire other people like me to have a positive impact on the world.”

Bhandari’s book is available for sale on Amazon  and Barnes and Noble.