Fall flu clinics

Families in Frisco can get their yearly flu shot through Passport Health, one of North America’s largest immunization providers that host local immunization clinics. Passport Health sets up clinics for illnesses such as the flu, Hepatitis  A and B, Meningitis, and MMR at the Frisco Independent School District (FISD). The clinics also provided Moderna booster shots for teachers and staff members. 

Multiple flu clinics were set up in FISD schools on various days between Sept. 1 and Oct. 28. This traveling vaccine clinic is available yearly throughout FISD.

From the year 2010 to 2020, the CDC predicts that the flu virus caused over 41 million cases of illness and an estimated 12,000 to 52,000 deaths. Recognizing this, Passport Health has been conducting these onsite flu clinics for FISD students, staff, and families every year to provide the community with easy access to the flu shot.

Lalania Richard, nurse at Independence High School (IHS), talks about how every year in which the flu vaccine is developed, scientists take flu strains that come in and generate the virus into various components. They then build a vaccine by estimating how it will mutate.

Richard also addresses how simple access clinics may encourage individuals to get the flu vaccine.

“Most individuals don’t venture outside their comfort zone. Most people accomplish what they need to do inside a 7.5-mile radius,” Richard said. “However, more individuals will get vaccinated if local clinics are available and convenient.”

Students and families register online for the vaccinations and choose clinics based on their convenience and location. Parents/guardians are required to accompany students, provide a consent form, as well as a photocopy of their driver’s license and insurance card. 

Cathy Brown, vaccine specialist, talked about being vaccinated and the ease that Passport Health provides when it comes to taking the shot.

“I think having local flu clinics available is good, so everyone gets vaccinated. It’s easier if people are at the school or if they come here and get it; it’s easy to access,” Brown said. “If parents are picking up their kids, they can just come here and get the shot instead of going to the doctor.”

To learn more about the flu vaccine, visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC); and to schedule an influenza vaccination appointment, go to Passport Heath.