Brighton Mooney signs letter of intent to run cross country

Brighton Mooney officially signs her letter of intent to run track at UT Austin surrounded by her coaches and other staff members.

A multi-sport athlete, a decorated student, and u​​ntil recently, a life-altering dilemma. Brighton Mooney, a senior at Independence High School (IHS), a state-level runner and varsity soccer player, wasn’t sure which sport to pursue in college. 

According to aaastateofplay, track and field and soccer are the most popular sports for high school girls in Texas, making running for college extremely difficult and competitive. Mooney proves otherwise: she just signed to the track and field program at the University of Texas at Austin (UT). 

Mooney, a diligent and exceptional athlete, runs multiple events for IHS and holds the 5k run record, which she broke multiple times. Signing with UT was a result of her hardwork and high school success. 

“I felt really excited to sign with them and stay within the state,” she said. 

Mooney chose UT for a variety of reasons, including the location and the various members of the athletic program. 

“I’ve been to Austin quite a few times and the atmosphere around the city is vibrant and alive,” she said. “I also love the coaches and the staff. When I went for a visit, they were very nice and accommodating.”

Although Mooney’s mother, Cortney, played a role in helping Mooney make her decision, it was Mooney that had finally made it. 

“My mother influenced my decision because of the bond we had but she never completely swayed me towards anywhere. She just wanted me to be happy,” she said. “College isn’t exactly a decision someone else makes for you when it comes to sports.”

Brighton Mooney signs with UT Austin.

Cortney Mooney reflected on how she felt when her daughter signed with UT.

“Brighton signing with UT was a very proud moment for me as her mother and witness to her journey and dedication,” she said. I couldn’t be happier for this rewarding opportunity that has been earned through her commitments and sacrifices.”

Cortney also discusses what Brighton was looking for in a college and why she thinks UT is a good fit for her. 

“Brighton didn’t want to just go anywhere; she wanted to go where she would be challenged as an athlete,” she said. “UT will not only offer a home away from home but offers the best of the best, state of the art facilities, and unlimited resources that will ensure her success not only as an athlete but also as a future alumni.”

Mindy Yeatman, Brighton’s track and field coach, discusses Brighton’s decision. 

“Brighton and I have been talking about her possibilities to run at the next level since last cross country season,” she said. “As her running has progressed our conversations became more in depth about visiting colleges to decide if she wanted to run or play soccer in college. I think we really started to get emails from colleges recruiting Brighton this last spring and summer. As the season progressed more colleges inquired about her that were top level programs.”

Yeatman believes Brighton is an inspiration for other athletes at IHS.

“I think Brighton signing with UT inspires others because she is a testament of hard work pays off,” she said. “I hope other runners or athletes will see that if you work hard and keep an open mind you never know what doors will open for you. Sometimes it’s a door you expect and sometimes it’s not, but be open to possibilities and you could be going on a path you never expected with so many more opportunities.”