District introduces FISD+ program for 2022-23 school year

FISD high school students will have hybrid and virtual learning options during the 2022-23 school year.

Frisco Independent School District (FISD) is introducing a new online and hybrid learning option for high school students beginning  the 2022-23 school year.

The program, called FISD+, will allow students to engage in independent and collaborative activities and develop college and career readiness regardless of their academic setting. 

The District has been advocating and planning for a virtual program for several years and is thankful for Senate Bill 15 which officially opened the doors for online programming across Texas,” FISD Director of Innovative Learning Tiffany Carey said. “We are excited to get this program off the ground and we look forward to welcoming the first group of students into this program.”

Carey explains the differences between hybrid and full-time online learning.

“The hybrid program will allow high school students to take classes online and on campus,” she said. “Students will take their four core classes online and will go to campus daily for all other classes, enabling them maximum access to FISD campus programming while also satisfying graduation requirements. The full-time online program for high school students will allow students to take all of their classes online.

Unlike full-time online students, hybrid students are eligible to participate in UIL activities, fine arts, athletics, and CTE programs. 

Full-time online students will need to visit a local campus occasionally for science labs and to pick up required course materials. 

While some students may easily be able to adapt to a completely virtual environment, some may find it difficult to focus and learn to their full potential.

“Online learning isn’t the best fit for every student, but it offers tremendous flexibility and may be better suited to some students’ needs and learning styles,” Carey said.

Although many students decided to participate in the program to take precautions against COVID-19, FISD+ wasn’t initially created due to the pandemic. 

“Frisco ISD has been interested in expanding virtual learning opportunities for many years and has been working toward the goal of offering these options for students,” Assistant Communications Director Meghan Cone said. “Frisco ISD had listed online and hybrid learning opportunities on its list of Legislative Priorities prior to the pandemic. These priorities are what drive conversations between Frisco ISD and state lawmakers about what changes should be made to state law.” 

The district plans on continuing the program for following school years with approval from the Texas Legislature and the Texas Commission of Virtual Education. 

Additional information can be found on the FISD+ website.