FISD CTE center plans to expand

Huckabee

Potential design for the exterior of the CTE center

The CTE center is a career oriented learning center that aims to get students involved in unique career paths. Although career and technology education classes are important to students, these classes can often be popular and hard to join. But FISD is taking steps to expand the CTE center and the courses they offer.

FISD Assistant Communications Director, Meghan Cone talks about the construction timeline and the estimated completion  date. 

“Construction will begin in August 2022 and is expected to be complete by the start of the 2024-25 school year,” Meghan Cone, FISD Administration Officer said. 

Although the CTE Center can house around 5,000 students, many are unable to take classes there due to space constraints.

“Frisco ISD continues to grow and add more students, and each year there are certain CTE programs that are unable to serve all students who have expressed interest in taking the courses,” Cone said. “The expansion will allow the CTE Center to serve more than 7,500 students.”

Although the CTE center is popular among the students who have taken courses there , many students across the district are unaware of what the center is or what classes they offer. Cone gives insight into how the center benefits students.

“The CTE Center allows students to explore and test a career path of their own choosing to determine if it is the right fit before pursuing it after high school,” she said. “This can save students time and money that they might otherwise spend pursuing a college major or career path that they later discover doesn’t match their passion.”

Along with the addition of new classes and working spaces, the renovations will allow for the introduction of more classes and the addition of continued courses.

Potential design of the exterior of CTE center (Huckabee)

“The expansion and renovation will provide more space for current programs, such as health science, architecture, and many more,” Cone said. “FISD has introduced courses in cybersecurity, video game programming, and esports in recent years and will soon add advanced esports and artificial intelligence classes.”

The CTE center has a diverse course catalog that allows students to learn about topics beyond the CORE curriculum in school. To learn more visit the link to see courses listed currently at the center and to see the exact details behind the expansion project view this link.