IHS rolls out new academic cheating policy

The rise of technology has amplified academic dishonesty at IHS. Punishments for cheating and plagiarism have changed for students this school year.  

“There’s this old saying that knowledge is power. But if you don’t have that knowledge, you don’t have the power. I think society gets really affected by this on a deeper level,” said Dina Edwards, AP Environmental Science teacher. 

With technology applications like social media, cheating may seem simple and easy. Canvas, the learning management system which is used district-wide for class assignments and exams,  detects plagiarism with the Turn it In software.

I do feel for some of the kids I’ve caught cheating. I think it comes from stress and worrying about grades and expectations they [students] have,” said Edwards. 

However academic dishonesty can also have negative impacts for students in clubs.

turnitin.com is the new site used to confirm a student’s original work.

Currently, NHS has a total of 467 students out of 868 Juniors and Seniors, as more than half of the upperclassmen at IHS are enrolled in the NHS program being mindful of academic dishonesty is crucial as most of the upperclassmen can be greatly affected.

At IHS cheating and plagiarism have consequences. If a student is in (NHS) they will have a recommendation to be removed from the group, be put on trial by the NHS Faculty Council, and must plead their case. This may result in a student’s expulsion from the program; which is one of the biggest school-wide programs at IHS. 

“Being dishonest in a classroom does not represent being a part of the NHS, I would think that removing people who are academic dishonesty promotes people who are dishonest,” said Joseph Whatley, co-sponsor of NHS at IHS.

A first offense of academic dishonesty in one class will force the student to take the test at a separate time so the instructor can ensure the student is not cheating. Additionally, Saturday school will also be issued along with an online course for academic dishonesty. 

A second offense will result in another online course on academic dishonesty and in-school suspension (ISS) until the course is completed. Reassessment options will also not be available in the class and in previous classes where academic dishonesty was found for nine weeks. 

The third and final offense will include not being able to reassess in any classes for nine weeks along with an issue of two days of ISS.