IHS hosts Multicultural Night

IHS Student Ambassadors hosted their yearly Multicultural Night on November 16, 2022. Students were able to host booths representing a variety of cultures or attend and explore other cultures. 

For the event, NHS, students who hosted a booth were given service hours. Students were to make presentations bringing food, games, art, etc. to represent their culture. 

Junior, Stephanie Chon, represented Korea, describing it as rich in colors, welcoming, and very hardy. Chon brought a variety of elements of Korean culture including food, and artwork.

Stephanie Chon, junior, poses in front of her South Korea booth during Multicultural Night on Nov. 16.

“I love Korean culture and I chose to represent this culture because although I was born in the U.S. I am Korean and practice a lot of these traditions. [I] enjoy all the good food and it’s a big part of who I am,” said Chon.

Multicultural Night also featured the Desi Dance Fusion Club.

Junior president of the Desi Dance Fusion Club Samhita Tangella talks about their performance at the event.

“I saw this night as a great way to really feature our club and it was a great opportunity to represent modern-day Bollywood dances,” said Tangella

Another IHS junior, Ava Mokhtarifard, hosted a booth representing Iran through a variety of food. Mokhtarifard didn’t just represent Iran to display and educate about the culture, but also shine some light on the nation as she feels the media mostly portrays it in a negative light.

Ava Mokhtarifard, junior, takes a picture in front of the Iran booth at Multicultural Night on Nov. 16.

“Iran has always been one of the most influential and culturally rich countries out there,” said Mokhtarifard, “The media shows Iran in negative ways so I saw this opportunity to shine a light on the beautiful things about this culture and show a new aspect of my country to the world.”

Junior, Saanvi Kara, who attended Multicultural Night, talks about the impact Multicultural made.

“It was a great way to learn about cultures as our peers come from many different backgrounds. Multicultural Night really helped us understand and look into cultures on a deeper level,” said Kara.