IHS welcomes PTSA

IHS is incredibly delighted to launch a parent-teacher-student association. We are looking for teachers and students in to help us launch the PTSA. SCAN THE QR CODE FOR INFO!

Independence High School (IHS)  is forming its very own Parent-Teacher-Student Association (PTSA) for the upcoming school year. 

The PTSA will serve as a platform for parents, teachers, and students to collaborate and work together to address educational challenges, advocate for policy changes, and support various school initiatives. One of the key roles of the PTSA is to promote parental involvement in education.

The PTSA also supports teachers by providing resources, organizing professional development opportunities, and recognizing their contributions to education. 

In order to establish PTSA, a minimum of 20 members are required to join. The platform will be directed by a board panel consisting of elected and appointed positions such as two teacher liaison positions that will serve on the board, further positions are available to all IHS parents and students who are interested. 

The association will focus on taking over administrative tasks such as offering programs, funding scholarship money, and hosting/preparing IHS-related events such as teacher appreciation week and other IHS-related affairs. The coming PTSA will start off with the annual IHS rumble; not meeting summer of 2023.

IHS Assistant Principal (AP), Valerie Buemi said anything the PTSA will do is in order to benefit students or staff in some form or fashion. 

“PTSA is designed to support students and staff of the school as a whole. [Such as] offering programs, scholarship money, and staff incentives,” said Buemi. “It’s a great way to add an additional layer of support for the kids and the teachers.” 

IHS, Advanced Placement Environmental Science (APES) teacher, Dina Edwards, believes the PTSA will benefit the school by bringing in more community members to work closely with the school for activities and opportunities. 

Additionally,  the PTSA will offer student engagement and leadership opportunities.

The board panel is not only restricted to parents but is also available to students; Arts and Education, Healthy Lifestyles, and Communications chair positions will be some of the positions students will most likely benefit from.

“This is a good chance for students to get involved in their school, join in different activities, and have a say on certain school-offered activities,” said Edwards.

A board position is not necessary to engage in PTSA, joining the PTSA membership will allow community members to voice their concerns and input to the board panel.

PTSA is hoping to be finalized on May 19. If interested in joining PTSA, all must join a Zoom meeting held in May, date to be determined (TBD). All members who join this meeting will have a discount due of $7.50; further dues will be $10. 

For more information about joining the PTSA membership or applying for positions, complete the following Google form, and stay up to date on IHS emails to learn more about upcoming information regarding the PTSA look into Texas PTA and Frisco PTA. For any questions or further information, contact buemiv@friscoisd.org